Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a "delight" in more ways than one. First, it's so easy to put together; and 2nd, it's even easier to eat!!!! Very, very refreshing. A perfect frozen ice cream dessert. I've had this recipe for almost 30 years and I can barely read from the paper it was written on. That was a good indication that I need to get it posted somewhere so I can always have access to it! NOTE: In place if the vanilla ice cream, I have been using mint chocolate chip ice cream. I still add some creme de menthe to it. Also, you can easily experiment with different flavors of ice cream.
- 8 1⁄2 ounces chocolate wafers, crushed
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, melted
- 1 quart chocolate ice cream, softened
- 1 quart vanilla ice cream, softened
- creme de menthe (to flavor)
- green food coloring
- crushed chocolate wafer (optional)
- crushed chocolate cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (optional)
- crushed mint chocolate chips, pieces (optional)
- Mix the ground wafers with the melted butter. Pat into the bottom of a 9x11 pan.
- Spread the chocolate ice cream over the crust and freeze until firm.
- Blend the vanilla ice cream with the desired amount of Creme de Mint and enough green food coloring to bring the mixture to desired flavor and color.
- Spread on top of chocolate ice cream. You can sprinkle a few more chocolate wafers, crushed Oreo cookies, or even some mint chocolate chips that have been crushed over the top. Return to freezer and freeze until firm. Serve.
- Passive work time is the approximate time this needs to freeze between layers.
One more time,this Lady comes up with a winner! This is has the luscious taste of a frosty York Peppermint Patty..my favorite candy...kicked up a few notches!!..