1/3 Photos of Scottish Lentil Soup
1 hr 20 mins
Classic central Scotland recipe i learned from my mother in law and adapted it to my way of cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1cut up ham into bite size chunks
- 2dice onion and leeks.
- 3add oil to large soup pot and fry over medium heat until golden then add the diced ham and fry until it changes color.
- 4grate rutabaga and carrots (i use my food processor) add to cooking mixture
- 5add chicken stock paste (cubes or fresh stock can be used. if using fresh stock decrease water amount) salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- 6cover mixture with half of the water, stir and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- 7taste to see if you need to add more salt or pepper
- 8add red lentils and rest of the water ( a bit more water if needed ) and simmer for another 30 mins until lentils are soft.
- 9Can be made ahead and frozen
- 10Serve with thick cut home made bread and you have a Scottish favorate.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scottish Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (380 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 263.7
- Calories from Fat 55
- Total Fat 6.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 14.7 mg
- Sodium 802.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 37.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.1 g
- Sugars 7.9 g
- Protein 17.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chicken stock paste