Classic central Scotland recipe i learned from my mother in law and adapted it to my way of cooking.
- cut up ham into bite size chunks
- dice onion and leeks.
- add oil to large soup pot and fry over medium heat until golden then add the diced ham and fry until it changes color.
- grate rutabaga and carrots (i use my food processor) add to cooking mixture
- add chicken stock paste (cubes or fresh stock can be used. if using fresh stock decrease water amount) salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- cover mixture with half of the water, stir and let simmer for 30 minutes.
- taste to see if you need to add more salt or pepper
- add red lentils and rest of the water ( a bit more water if needed ) and simmer for another 30 mins until lentils are soft.
- Can be made ahead and frozen
- Serve with thick cut home made bread and you have a Scottish favorate.