Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a very yummy cake. The orange, creamy icing and the whiskey all compliment each very well. A great dessert for a dinner party. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
- 6 ounces self-raising flour
- 6 ounces butter
- 6 ounces brown sugar (light)
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 4 tablespoons whiskey
- 1⁄4 cup orange zest
- 6 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 tablespoons clear honey
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds (decoration)
- Cream the butter and sugar together, add the orange rind and beat in the eggs, one at a time.
- Whisk until the mixture is pale and fluffy. Sift in half the self-raising flour and pour in the whiskey.
- Fold in to the mixture and sift in the remaining flour and again fold in gently.
- Grease two seven inch sandwich tins and divide the mixture between the two, smoothing the tops.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes in an oven at 375°F/190°C (Gas Mark 5) until the cake is a light golden color.
- Turn onto a wire rack to allow it to cool.
- Butter Icing:.
- Put the butter, honey and orange juice in a mixing bowl.
- Slowly sift in the sugar and work the mixture until well combined.
- To prepare the cake, use half the butter cream as a sandwich between the two halves of the cake and spread the rest smoothly on the top. Add the toasted almonds as decoration.