Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 slice hearty thick white bread
- 4 fluid ounces milk
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts, cooked and minced
- 4 almonds, ground
- 2 eggs, hard boiled,yolks only
- 32 fluid ounces low sodium chicken broth
- white pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 egg yolks
- 4 fluid ounces heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons finely diced cooked chicken
- Remove the crusts from the bread and place the bread in small saucepan.
- Cover with the milk and bring to a boil.
- Set aside and allow to cool a bit.
- Pound the minced chicken, almonds and hard-boiled yolks in a mortar until smooth, and then place in a large bowl.
- Gradually beat in the bread and milk.
- Stir in the stock, and then pass through a sieve into a saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, season with salt and pepper, add the nutmeg and lemon juice and simmer for 10 minutes; remove from the heat.
- Beat the egg yolks with the cream and blend in 3 tablespoonfuls of the hot soup.
- Stir the mixture into the soup and heat gently for 2 or 3 minutes.
- DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
- When it thickens, serve with the diced chicken as a garnish.