Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
Scones of a higher degree - bet you can't eat just one!
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 1⁄3 cups milk
- 16 tablespoons cold butter
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups raisins or 1 1⁄2 cups sultanas
- 1 jar fruit preserves
- Preheat oven to 425F degrees.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl; stir to mix well.
- Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter until mixture looks like fine granules.
- Add sugar, raisins and mix.
- Add milk, vanilla, and cinnamon and stir with a fork until soft dough forms.
- Form dough into a ball, put on a lightly floured board, and give 10 to 12 kneads.
- Roll out dough to a flat shape between ¼and ½ thick.
- Using a floured doughnut cutter, cut out 12 solid disks and 6 with a hole in the center.
- Place a solid disk on a greased cookie sheet.
- Place a disk with a hole on top and fill the hole with fruit.
- Cover with another solid disk and pinch edges to seal.
- Re-roll and cut scraps and repeat cutting until all dough is used.
- Bake for 12 14 minutes or until medium brown on top.
- Put on a wire rack and cool before serving.
- ***Warning***the fruit filling is very hot fresh from the oven, always allow the scones to cool a few minutes before eating.