Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
I got this recipe from a friend after tasting this delicious dumpling loaf!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 4 ounces butter or 4 ounces margarine
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sultana
- 1 cup currants
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Put all ingredients except flour, baking soda and eggs, into a pot and bring to a boil.
- Let cool.
- Into a large bowl, put 2 cups of all purpose flour, and 1 tsp of baking soda.
- Add cooled mixture and mix well.
- Beat two eggs and add to mixture.
- Line 2- 1 lb loaf pans with parchment paper (or you can use a 2 lb. loaf pan) and divide the mixture between the two pans (or put it all in the one 2 lb. pan) Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 1 hour on middle shelf.
- (Since all ovens are different, I usually check after about 3/4 of an hour. Insert a skewer in the middle of the loaf to see if it comes out clean).