Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons shortening, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 fluid ounces Coke
- 1 cup prunes, very well drained and coarsely chopped or 1⁄2 cup dried prune
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, rolled oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, beat with a fork, the egg, shortening, and vanilla extract until well blended; add to the flour mixture.
- Add the Coke, prunes, and nuts; blend thoroughly with a spoon.
- Turn into a well-greased, lightly floured, 9x5x3-inch loaf pan.
- Bake in a preheated, 350°F oven for about 1 hour or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack for 20 minutes before removing the bread from the pan.
- Store in foil overnight before slicing.