Prep 4 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe from Toravaig House Hotel, a small family hotel at Knock Bay on the Isle of Skye.
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces flour
- 2 1⁄2 cups stock
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 pinch pepper
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Melt the butter in a saucepan and cook the onions for a few minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for another minute.
- Stir in the milk and stock, bring to the boil, season with pepper and simmer gently for about 5 minutes.
- Toss the grated cheese gently into the soup and simmer until melted.
- DO NOT ALLOW TO BOIL.
This soup is a huge hit at the yearly Burn's Night Supper!
This tastes just like my Mom used to make. She would add cubed ham most of the time. I prefer to dice the onions as it seems easier to get them on the spoon. Thank you for posting this childhood memory!