1/3 Photos of Scottish Buttermilk Steel Cut Oat Scones
Steel cut oats are my new passion. I haven't tried this recipe yet, but will shortly. It comes from Bob's Red Mill, an excellent brand of healthy grains, etc. The recipe seems a tad fussy, but my mouth waters just thinking about the yummy (and healthy) end result.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup oat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup unbleached white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/3 cup dried currant
- butter (for greasing baking sheet)
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened and cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon milk
- cinnamon-sugar mixture, for topping
- 1Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- 2Place the oats in a pie pan and toast them for 20 minutes, stirring often to toast evenly and not burn.
- 3Remove when slightly golden.
- 4Combine oats with buttermilk in a small bowl and let stand for 20 minutes.
- 5In a large bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, sugar, baking powder, salt and dried currants.
- 6Reset the oven to 400F degrees.
- 7Butter a baking sheet.
- 8Using a pastry blender, cut the 4 tablespoons butter into the flour until the texture is coarsely crumbled.
- 9Stir in the buttermilk/oat mixture until combined.
- 10Flour your hands and scoop up the dough, forming it into a ball. Do not overmix.
- 11Press the ball of dough directly into the pan, then press into a 3/4" thick circle.
- 12With a sharp knife, score the surface, almost to the bottom, making eight wedges.
- 13Brush the surface with milk and sprinkle a bit of sugar and cinnamon on top.
- 14Bake for 12 to 15 minutes.
- 15Cut into wedges.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scottish Buttermilk Steel Cut Oat Scones
Serving Size: 1 (693 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 224.6
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 4.1 g
- Cholesterol 16.7 mg
- Sodium 479.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.2 g
- Protein 7.0 g