- 6 ounces whole wheat flour
- 4 ounces white flour
- 1 tablespoon golden syrup or 1 tablespoon corn syrup
- 5 fluid ounces milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 pinch salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to 325°F.
- Grease a l-pound loaf tin.
- Mix the flours, salt, baking soda and cream of tartar together in a bowl.
- Add the golden syrup and mix with sufficient of the milk to form soft dough.
- Turn out on to a floured surface and knead very gently.
- Place in the tin and cover with foil.
- Bake for about 50 minutes then remove the foil and bake for a further 10 minutes until the top is nicely browned.
- Turn out on to a wire rack to cool.
- Eat at once.