Prep 25 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A traditional recipe for "Scotch Broth", especially warming here on the North East coast of Scotland.
- 1⁄2 kg middle lamb neck
- 1 1⁄2 liters water
- 2 large onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 small celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 small leek, slit, washed and chopped
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 25 g pearl barley
- Trim and neatly cut lamb neck into sections,.
- Place lamb in a saucepan of water and boil,.
- Skim any "scum" from the water as it rises,.
- When liquid is clear add all remaning ingredients,.
- Cover and simmer on low heat for 1 hour and 45 minutes to 2 hours until lamb and barley are both tender.,.
- Stir occasionally.