Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
A traditional Scottish recipe with the distinctive flavor of barley. This is not your usual concept of dessert and would also probably be nice for breakfast.
- 1 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup seedless raisin
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- superfine sugar, to serve with the pudding
- light cream, to serve with the pudding
- Mix the barley and water in a heavy-based saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for one-and-a-half hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the currants, raisins and salt and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with sugar and the cream.
Made this the other night as a dessert and we loved it. Similar to a rice pudding. Added some cinnamon and splenda (in place of sugar)after serving it out as well. This tastes so good and would make a great way to start the day. Keep an eye on the cooking, mine was done earlier than the time given. Thanks for posting a keeper!