Recipe by mollypaul
A traditional Scottish recipe with the distinctive flavor of barley. This is not your usual concept of dessert and would also probably be nice for breakfast.
Top Review by woodland hues
Made this the other night as a dessert and we loved it. Similar to a rice pudding. Added some cinnamon and splenda (in place of sugar)after serving it out as well. This tastes so good and would make a great way to start the day. Keep an eye on the cooking, mine was done earlier than the time given. Thanks for posting a keeper!
- 1 cup barley
- 1⁄3 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup seedless raisin
- 4 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- superfine sugar, to serve with the pudding
- light cream, to serve with the pudding
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix the barley and water in a heavy-based saucepan and bring slowly to the boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for one-and-a-half hours, stirring occasionally.
- Add the currants, raisins and salt and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Serve sprinkled with sugar and the cream.