1/9 Photos of Scottish Baps - Soft Morning Bread Rolls
2 hrs 30 mins
2 hrs 20 mins
French Tart's Note:
These classic Scottish bread rolls are so easy to make - with only one kneading required. They are soft with a distinctive floured finish and are excellent for all manner of fillings, but especially bacon or cheese and salad. These baps are quite wide without much height, and they must only be baked for a maximum of 10 minutes in order to maintain their soft texture. Preparation time includes the proving and kneading time. They are best eaten on the day that they are made - they are delicious toasted the next day however.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Rub the butter into the flour and make a well in the centre.
- 2Cream the yeast with the sugar, then add the liquid and salt, and pour into the well. Mix to a slack dough, adding extra warm liquid if required.
- 3Allow to rise until the dough has doubled in bulk, for about an hour or two according to temperature.
- 4Knead, and divide in eight even pieces. Knead each into a ball about the size of a fist, and flatten with the hand. Then lightly roll to a round with a rolling-pin.
- 5Place the ball doughs on a well-floured baking tray/s, lightly pressing your thumb in to the middle of the baps. Brush with milk and sprinkle flour all over the top of the baps. Prove for 15 to 20 minutes until well risen.
- 6Bake in the oven at 200°C (400°F) mark 6 for 10 minutes, or until firm and lightly golden brown, but still soft - tap them underneath and they should sound hollow when they are cooked. . Cool on a wire rack. Dust with more flour.
- 7These freeze very well - serve them with assorted fillings for sandwiches or just split whilst warm and spread with butter.
- 8US conversions: 1 lb flour = 4 cups. 2 ozs butter = 1/2 stick butter.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scottish Baps - Soft Morning Bread Rolls
Serving Size: 1 (97 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.6
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 8.8 g
- Cholesterol 39.0 mg
- Sodium 715.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 91.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 14.1 g