Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
ZWT6 - Great Britain
Make and share this Scottish Applesauce Cake recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1 cup applesauce
- 2⁄3 cup butterscotch chips, melted
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup flaked coconut
- 1⁄3 cup butterscotch chips
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1⁄4 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Cake: Cream butter and sugar.
- Add eggs, vanilla, salt, and cloves; beat well.
- Stir in applesauce.
- Gradually add flour, mixing well.
- Stir in butterscotch.
- Pour into greased and floured 8 x 12 x 2-inch pan.
- Bake at 350° for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Add topping.
- Topping: Boil all ingredients together until butter and morsels melt.
- When cake is done, leave in pan; spread topping on cake.
- Broil 1 minute or so until golden brown.
Wow--a really tasty cake! I made it for an event at church, but took a small piece before we left and it was yummy! I used Granny Smith unsweetened applesauce, as that is what I had on hand, and I had to bake mine about 10 minutes longer than the recipe stated, but other than that it was made exactly per the recipe. DH can't wait for me to make this again just for us, and that is saying something as he is generally a chocolate cake kind of guy! Made for ElaineAnn's win in the 2010 Football Pool Tag. Congratulations!!