Cook2 hrs 40 mins
This is really an amazing baby back ribs recipe! I found it about a year ago at another recipe site and have been making it ever since.
- 2 (2 lb) baby back rib racks
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon ground red chili pepper
- 2 1⁄4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup minced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons liquid smoke flavoring
- 2 teaspoons whiskey
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground red chili pepper
- Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
- Cut each full rack of ribs in half, so that you have 4 half racks.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper (more pepper than salt), and 1 tablespoon chili pepper over meat.
- Wrap each half rack in aluminum foil.
- Bake for 2 1/2 hours.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Cook and stir the onions in oil for 5 minutes.
- Stir in water, tomato paste, vinegar, brown sugar, honey, and Worcestershire sauce.
- Season with 2 teaspoons salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, liquid smoke, whiskey, garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, dark molasses, and 1/2 tablespoon ground chili pepper.
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat.
- Simmer for 1 1/4 hours, uncovered, or until sauce thickens.
- Remove from heat, and set sauce aside.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat.
- Remove the ribs from the oven, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Remove the racks from the foil, and place on the grill.
- Grill the ribs for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- Brush sauce on the ribs while they're grilling, just before you serve them (adding it too early will burn it).