Recipe by Mille®
Scots pancakes are cooked on a hot griddle and are entirely different from crepes (also known as pancakes in Britain)
- 8 ounces plain white flour
- 2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar or 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 egg
- milk (to mix)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the griddle and grease lightly.
- Sift all the flour and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl.
- Add in the castor sugar, oil, egg and a little milk.
- Stir into the flour and add enough milk to make a thick creamy mixture, approximately the consistency of very thick whipping cream.
- Drop spoonfuls of the mixture onto the hot griddle and cook until they bubble on top.
- Turn and cook on the other side until golden brown.
- While cooking the rest of the mixture store the cooked pancakes between a small folded towel.
- Serve the warm pancakes with butter and preserves.
- In the unlikely event of there being any left-overs, they should be kept in an air tight container.