Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is traditional in our family for Thanksgiving. I think it may be the only recipe left from my Edinburgh grandmother. Guests always wonder about it, but they turn into believers after a few bites. It is nutty and delicious. Try it, you'll like it.
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup butter
- 4 cups oatmeal
- stock, from turkey giblets (or veg "chicken" stock for a vegetarian version)
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Soften onions in butter (do not brown).
- Add oatmeal and mix well.
- Season to taste.
- Use at this point to stuff turkey or chicken.
- If making in a casserole, add the stock.
- Not too much, you want it to still be fairly dry.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about 45 minutes.
This is actually called skirlie, and is most often served in Scotland with chicken.