Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 8 mins
These are soft pancake-like or crepe-like fare but made larger and more thinly than pancakes. They can be spread with butter and/or jam and they are traditionally rolled up before eating. The quantities below will make about 16 crumpets. Posted from an online source in response to a recipe request. Cooking time is approximate.
- Beat the egg yolks and blend in the sifted flour, sugar, salt.
- Then add in the melted butter and milk to make a thin batter about the consistency of thin cream.
- Beat the egg whites to the soft peak stage and quickly add to the batter, folding in with a knife or metal spoon.
- Heat a lightly greased griddle or a frying pan; pour in large spoonfuls of the batter when the pan is hot.
- Each crumpet should spread thinly to about 4" to 5" in diameter (you may have to tilt the pan to achieve this).
- When the batter is brown underneath and slightly bubbly on top, turn and cook on the other side.
- Serve warm.