Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is my mom's recipe. What's different about how I make it is the method not the ingredients. Using the microwave is key to not overcooking! I get requests to make these all the time and am consistently told that these are the best scotcharoos people have ever had. Enjoy!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 6 1⁄2 cups Rice Krispies
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips (nestle is best in my opinion)
- In large bowl mix sugar, peanut butter and corn syrup.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes. Check every 30 sec. after 2 minutes. Mixture is done when it starts to boil.
- Stir in rice krispies until well coated.
- Spray 9x13 pan with non-stick spray.
- Spread evenly in pan.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips in microwave on high for 1-2 minutes (watch carefully and stir every 30 seconds - do not overcook!).
- Spread chocolate sauce over rice krispies.
- Allow to cool (may even put in fridge or freezer for a few minutes) and cover.
While this dessert is a bit too sweet for me, the grandkids each gave it two thumbs up which equates to a 5-star review in my book. I will say these are extremely easy to make and they came out perfectly. The good thing is that they are not as sticky as the traditional rice crispy treats that use marshmallow creme. Will definitely make again for the holidays. Made for Fall PAC, 2012.
I have been making these for years using the same method. There is nothing better on earth than these scotcheroos!!
Trust me, these are amazing!