Recipe by hmms
This recipe is from my sister's mother-in-law. It is my take-everywhere recipe and is often requested by coworkers and friends. It's an easy, quick, no-bake recipe. I have a hard time not eating-as-I-go when I make these. As a personal choice, I use milk chocolate chips, but semi-sweet are good too. They take about 20 minutes to make, the long cook time includes the hour of refrigeration for bars to set.
Top Review by Bizy_Mum
This is such an easy and yummy treat. I had a hard time with them getting too hard once set up the first few times I made these - but I learned NOT to 'boil'/overcook the sugar/syrup mixture. The moment the sugar is dissolved, it is ready for the pb.
Also, because I worry about my kids getting some nutrition with their sugar, I use Total Bran Flakes instead of the rice krispy bars. There is almost no taste/texture difference, believe it or not, and the kids are getting extra fiber and vitamins with that brand of cereal instead. Bonus - I found the "Store Brand" of the Total Bran Flakes at Aldi's for less than $2/box, so they're yummy, nutritious AND inexpensive to make!
- 1419.54 ml Rice Krispies
- 236.59 ml light Karo syrup
- 236.59 ml sugar
- 354.88 ml peanut butter
- 236.59 ml chocolate chips
- 236.59 ml butterscotch chips
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure out 6 cups of Rice Krispies into large bowl.
- Measure out 1 1/2 cups of peanut butter, add to bowl with cereal.
- Heat 1 cup Karo syrup and 1 cup sugar to a boil in a 2-quart sauce pan, stirring constantly. Remove and pour on peanut butter (this will melt PB and make stirring easier).
- Stir until cereal is covered, spread mixture into 9x13 pan, set aside.
- Melt chocolate and butterscotch chips in microwave (1 minute, stir, repeat) or over medium heat on stove (stir constantly). Spread on top of cereal mixture.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour. Bars will cut best when they've warmed to room tempreature.