Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Traditional Scottish recipe.
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) fryer chickens, cut up
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces Scotch whisky
- 3 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 cup sliced leeks or 1⁄4 cup green onion
- 4 ounces light cream
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons whiskey
- seasoning (of choice)
- Rinse the chicken pieces; pat dry with paper toweling.
- Season with salt and pepper (or other seasonings, to taste).
- In skillet, brown chicken in butter for 15 minutes, turning to brown evenly.
- Add 8 oz.
- whisky to skillet, and then cover and simmer 30 to 35 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Remove chicken to serving platter and keep warm.
- ----ToPrepare Sauce----.
- Skim fat from pan juices.
- Add enough water to juices, if necessary, to measure 2/3 cup liquid.
- Return to skillet and stir in mushrooms and green onions.
- Cook and stir just until onions are tender.
- Combine cream and flour, and then add to mixture in skillet.
- Cook and stir until thick and bubbly.
- Cook and stir one minute more.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice and 2 teaspoons whisky.
- Spoon over chicken.