Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
These cookies are absolutely delicious. One of the ladies in our Bible Study group brought these and she was surrounded by ladies who wanted her recipe. She advises to use all the flour in the cookies and add extra for rolling. Put in fridge 1 hr. before rolling for easier handling.
- 1 cup butter, if you wish (may use 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening)
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour (or all purpose)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Add dry ingredients.
- Dissolve soda in boilig water and add to mixture.
- Roll out on floured pastry sheet.
- Cut into 2 inch rounds.
- Bake 325 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.