Recipe by Mysterygirl
I got this from an older English woman at our church. It is one of our favorites. I prefer using the Italian bread crumbs but plain work just as well. The ingredients are approximations because it depends on the size of the eggs and how many you want to make. They even reheat well the next day in the microwave. Updated 11/8/05 with alternate cooking instructions
Top Review by BethR
The trick to the pork sticking to the egg is dip in seasoned flour before "wrapping" with sausage. A scottish friend of ours shared this recipe and it is a winner at brunch and so pretty to serve!
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel eggs.
- Wrap with sausage meat making sure that no egg shows through.
- Dip in beaten egg, then flour, then egg, then seasoned bread crumbs making sure to get a good seal.
- Deep fry in hot oil 6-7 minutes or until sausage meat is thoroughly cooked.
- Great served with mustard.
- Alternate cooking instructions: Instead of frying you may bake these.
- Heat oven to 425.
- Set a cooking/cooling rack on a cookie sheet.
- Place breaded eggs on cookie sheet.
- Spray breaded eggs with non-stick cooking spray (like PAM).
- Bake for about 30-40 minutes depending upon how thick your sausage layer is.
- Eggs will come out crispy and nicely browned.