Recipe by Chef Kate
With both butter and Scotch, this sauce is the real thing! It's infinitely better than the kind you buy in a jar, and it takes only about 10 minutes to make. Serve it over ice cream or over grilled pineapple slices or with both together, or as a dessert waffle topping, along with sliced bananas and chopped walnuts. From "Short and Sweet: 150 Sophisticated Desserts in No Time at All" by Melanie Barnard.
Top Review by Ames Shaps
Great simple recipe! I left out the corn syrup and it turns out just fine. The only thing this recipe really needs is salt, so I used salted butter and then added salt to taste.
- 1 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons Scotch whisky
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, bring the sugar, cream, butter and corn syrup to a boil over medium heat stirring constantly.
- Lower heat and boil gently, stirring often, until sauce thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon.
- Remove from heat and stir in whiskey and vanilla.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving.
- Can be refrigerated up to one week; warm gently before serving.