Recipe by jenny butt
To dish up in in authentic Scottish style, serve in 2 courses: broth with Bere Scones, then the meat & vegetables. From Dorinda Hafners Taste of Britain.
- 1 1⁄2-1 7⁄8 kg scrag lamb
- 175 g pearl barley, pre soaked
- 110 g dried split peas, pre soaked
- 4 7⁄8 liters water
- 450 g carrots, diced small
- 450 g turnips or 450 g swede, cut chunky
- 225 g leeks, sliced
- 3 medium onions, chopped
- salt & pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put lamb, pearl barley, split peas into very large pot with water.
- Bring to boil on moderate flame.
- Skim froth from top.
- Turn flame to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add all prepared vegetables,.
- Cover & continue gently for 1 - 1 1/2 hours until lamb is tender.
- Meanwhile peel & boil potatoes when cooked, mash with some butter & milk to taste.
- Spoon into a warmed serving dish - keep warm.
- To dish up serve BROTH ONLY into soup bowls & serve with Bere Scones.
- Follow 1st course by lifting meat from pan & placing on serving platter.
- Surround meat with chunks of vegetables.
- Spoon some of the broth over the dish.
- Scatter with remaining chopped parsley.
- Serve with dish of mashed potatoes.