Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is from 1000 Great Recipes. Posting for ZWT3. “Sustaining and warming, this traditional Scottish soup makes a delicious winter soup anywhere in the world.”
- 2 lbs lamb, cut into chunks
- 7 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup pearl barley
- 1 bouquet garni
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 turnip, chopped
- 3 leeks, chopped
- 1⁄2 head white cabbage, shredded
- salt and pepper
- fresh parsley, chopped to garnish
- Put the lamb and water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Skim off the scum, then stir in onion, barley and bouquet garni.
- Bring the soup back to a boil, then partly cover the saucepan and gently simmer for 1 hour.
- Add the remaining vegetables and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, partly cover again and simmer for another 35 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
- Remove any surplus fat from the top of the soup. Remove the bouquet garni.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with chopped parsley.