Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A warm and hearty comforting winter soup when the snow is flying and wind is blowing. Serve with warm crusty rolls or fresh bread straight from the hot oven. Prep time is approximate and does not include cook time.
- 2 lbs lamb necks, bone In
- 8 cups water
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 cup turnip, pared and chopped (or rutabaga)
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon rosemary, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup barley
- Place meat, water, carrots, onions, rutabaga, salt, pepper and rosemary in large kettle. Cover; bring to boiling. Lower heat; simmer 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove kettle from heat. Remove meat from bone. Skim fat from soup.
- Return meat to soup. Bring to boiling; add barley. Simmer 30 minutes, or until barley is tender.
- Garnish each serving with chopped parsley, if you wish.