1/1 Photo of Scotch Broth
2 hrs 15 mins
This is a staple in every self-respecting Scottish household. It will take the chill out of you on a cold winter's evening.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, cover the lamb with cold water; bring to a boil.
- 2Add the barley, partially cover the pot, and simmer until the meat and barley are tender, about 1½ hours.
- 3Add more water to adjust for any evaporation; skim the surface of the soup as necessary.
- 4Remove meat from broth; cut meat from bone and cut in small pieces.
- 5Discard the bones and return the meat to the soup.
- 6Continue simmering.
- 7In a skillet, melt the butter over medium heat.
- 8Add the carrots, turnip, celery, and onion and cook stirring often for 10 minutes.
- 9Add the vegetables to the soup.
- 10Simmer for about 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
- 11Add salt, pepper, and seasonings to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scotch Broth
Serving Size: 1 (307 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 87.0
- Calories from Fat 27
- Total Fat 3.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 7.6 mg
- Sodium 62.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 1.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: