Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This was one of my mom's recipes, and one of the most popular dessert/cookie/snacks she made. It's ultra-simple and just about impossible to mess up unless you just flat-out burn it to a crisp.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and oats and blend well.
- Spread in a greased 7"x11" pan and bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until the top is just starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips, ideally in the top of a double boiler.
- Remove the pan from the oven, let sit for five minutes, and spread melted chocolate on top. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Let cool until chocolate is completely set, then cut into squares and stand back.
these were good and VERY quick. i needed an emergency treat and whipped these up in no time. i put the chocolate chips on after and covered it to let them melt then spread them around and tossed nuts on and stuck it in the freezer to quicken the hardening.. i also added a few butterscotch chips to the top for fun.. thanks for a fun quick dessert that satified all.
Very good! I was looking for a treat for two hungry boys, seeing it had Dienia B's approval I was sure we would all enjoy ... and we did. I find those 'mom' recipes seldom fail to please, amazing how simple ingredients seem to come together and taste so good. Other than melting the chocolate chips in the microwave I made as posted - next time I will add the optional nuts on top, I'm sure some chopped pecans would make for extra special. Thank you Mary I am happy you shared your mom's recipe and so are the boys!
i got this 50 lb sack of oatmeal from the coop and thought boy im going to have to make something from it and im glad you posted these they are good i just put the chocolate chips on top the last 5 minutes of baking and then spread it around works pretty good and doesnt get another pan dirty since im in hot water enough lol dee