Recipe by Mary the Disturbed Stick Woman
This was one of my mom's recipes, and one of the most popular dessert/cookie/snacks she made. It's ultra-simple and just about impossible to mess up unless you just flat-out burn it to a crisp.
Top Review by sprue
these were good and VERY quick. i needed an emergency treat and whipped these up in no time. i put the chocolate chips on after and covered it to let them melt then spread them around and tossed nuts on and stuck it in the freezer to quicken the hardening.. i also added a few butterscotch chips to the top for fun.. thanks for a fun quick dessert that satified all.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup instant oats
- 1 (12 ounce) package chocolate chips
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream butter and sugars.
- Add vanilla and egg yolks and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add flour and oats and blend well.
- Spread in a greased 7"x11" pan and bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until the top is just starting to brown.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate chips, ideally in the top of a double boiler.
- Remove the pan from the oven, let sit for five minutes, and spread melted chocolate on top. Sprinkle with nuts.
- Let cool until chocolate is completely set, then cut into squares and stand back.