Recipe by budgiesntiels
This recipe came from Cook's Illustrated. The rolls look like muffins but taste like dinner bread.
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons fast rising yeast
- 1 cup water, heated to 110 degrees
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 large egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Adjust oven rack to the middle position.
- Heat oven to 200 degrees. Maintain temperature for 10 minutes, then turn off the oven.
- Grease the muffin tins.
- Whisk 1 1/4 cups flour, sugar, salt and yeast in a large bowl.
- Whisk water, butter, and egg until very smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Add remaining flour and mix with a rubber spatula unitl just combined.
- Cover bowl with greased plastic wrap and place in the warm oven until the batter is doubled in size, about 30 minutes.
- Remove bowl from the oven and punch the dough down.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tins.
- Cover with the greased plastic wrap and let rise until the batter nearly reaches the rims of the muffin tin ( let rise at room temperature), about 15 minutes.
- Remove the plastic wrap and bake until the rolls are golden, 14 to 18 minutes.
- Rolls can be stored in an air tight contain for 3 days.