Prep 15 mins
Cook 12 mins
From a local source, local chef.
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cut up into small pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup whole milk
Spiced Sugar-Nut Mixture
- 3 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 dash of freshly grated nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons pecans, coarsely chopped (or other nut of your choice)
- SCONES: Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Combine the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Cut in the butter using a pastry blender until you have coarse crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and half and half.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and stir with a fork [[just]] until ingredients are moistened and hold together.
- Gather dough into a ball and knead several times on a floured surface.
- Pat the ball into an 8 inch round.
- SUGAR-NUT MIXTURE: Combine the ingredients in a small bowl. Yield 1/4 cup.
- Sprinkle dough round with the sugar-nut topping.
- Cut into 8 wedges. Place the wedges slightly apart on an ungreased parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake the scones until golden brown, about 12 minutes.