This is a Tyler's Ultimate recipe (with some minor tweaks for my taste) for berry scones, but the basic recipe is an absolutely perfect jumping off point for any flavor scone. Instead of berries (for example, when they are out of season) I make chocolate chunk orange scones by adding chocolate and orange juice and zest as the final step.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1For the buttermilk and honey butter: combine the first 4 ingredients in a food processor and turn on high. The liquid will slosh, whip, and then separate after 4 minutes. When the mixture separates, stop processing and strain out the buttermilk--there should be exactly 3/4 cup, which is what you need for the scones. Strain out the butter and squeeze dry.
- 2For the scones: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 3In a food processor bowl add flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 4Add cold butter cubes and pulse until you have a texture of coarse bread crumbs.
- 5Transfer to a large mixing bowl. Toss berries (which have been washed and dried thoroughly) in a small amount of flour and add them to the mixture.
- 6Add the buttermilk and either toss with a fork or fold with a spatula to incorporate the berries without smashing them. Mix to combine, but don't over mix.
- 7Drop spoonfuls of dough onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, paint the tops of each scone lightly with buttermilk or a bit of milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- 8Bake until golden brown, and nice and puffy, about 10-15 minutes.
- 9Serve warm with orange honey butter.
- 10Notes: if you are making a scone with juice, add that after you do the buttermilk step. When I use fresh fruit juice, I don't put any sugar in the dough recipe because I think it makes it too sweet. You want to stick with small to medium scones here. Large ones will be too dark outside and under cooked inside.
Browse Our Top Scones Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Scones Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Scones With Honey Butter
Serving Size: 1 (190 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 607.8
- Calories from Fat 373
- Total Fat 41.5 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 140.4 mg
- Sodium 773.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 19.5 g
- Protein 7.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: