Recipe by Aaliyah's&Aaron'sMum
Serve with a big dollop of whipped cream. They can be also be frozen.
Top Review by Annacia
Another outstanding vote from me. I just love the lemon in this recipe. I trimmed the fat and sugar by replacing the sugar with Splenda, using 2 scant Tbsp of a heart healthy margarine, using egg white only and fat free coffee creamer for the double cream. My jam was no added sugar raspberry. I made it in one whole piece and baked that for 25 mins because I pressed the dough into an 8" circle on a Silpat like mat and didn't want to cut on that. Wonderful!
- 275 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 50 g sugar
- 75 g butter, cold
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120 ml double cream
- 4 tablespoons jam, flavour of your choice
Directions See How It's Made
- Pre-heat oven to Gas Mark 5/375°F/190°C.
- You will need a baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Begin by sifting plain flour, baking powder and sugar in a large bowl.
- Cut butter into cubes and rub into the flour mixture until it looks like crumbs.
- Stir in the lemon zest.
- Combine the beaten egg, vanilla extract and double cream in a small bowl.
- Add the liquid mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Transfer the dough onto a lightly-floured surface and knead gently for 1 minute.
- Divide the dough in half and roll each half of the dough into a 8 inch circle.
- Spread jam on one of the rolled-out dough leaving about 1/2 inch border all around.
- Place the second rolled-out dough on top of the jam layer, gently sealing the edges.
- Now cut the circle into 8 wedges and carefully transfer them onto the baking sheet.
- Make an egg wash of one beaten egg mixed with milk and brush the top of the scones with this mixture.
- Bake on the centre shelf of the oven for about 15 minutes or until lightly golden browned.
- Remove from oven and transfer onto a wire rack to cool.