Recipe by I'mPat
From Ready Steady Cook as done by Janelle Bloom. Time is worked out on the assumption that as the jam is cooking you will be making the scones. Janelle attributed this recipe to the Country Women's Association.
Top Review by 2Bleu
This is a very nice scone and jam recipe, although the jam is extremely sweet. Next time we would reduce the sugar to about 1/4 cup or less. We got 4 nice sized scones from the dough. Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 180 ml milk
- 1⁄2 cup cream (pouring)
Vanilla Bean and Mango Jam
- 1 mango (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄2 lemon (juice off)
- 1⁄2 vanilla bean (seeds removed)
Directions See How It's Made
- Vanilla Bean and Mango Jam - combine all the ingredients in a heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes or until thick and jam like (jam will thicken on cooling).
- For scones - preheat oven to 230C fan forced.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Combine flour, sugar and salt in a bowl, add milk and cream and stir with a knife until dough comes together.
- Knead lightly on floured surface until dough comes together and is smooth.
- Gently press out to a 3cm thick round.
- Cut into scones and place on baking tray (dip scone cutter into flour and it will make the job easier).
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Serve hot with butter and jam.