Prep 25 mins
Cook 12 mins
Great for breakfast, or with chili. My three boys and I worked on this recipe for several go rounds and finally came up with this. we used bits and pieces from several recipes.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons white sugar
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons raw sugar
- In large bowl, sift flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- With a pastry blender or fork cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In separate bowl, combine egg, milk and vanilla.
- Stir into dry ingredients to form a soft dough.
- Gather into ball.
- Turn out onto lightly floured surface; knead lightly 10 times.
- With lightly floured hands, pat dough in 1/2 inch thick.
- Using biscuit cutter, cut dough into rounds, gathering scraps together until dough is all used up.
- Place rounds on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Mix egg white with small amount of warm water to form an egg wash.
- Paint top of scones with egg wash and sprinkle with raw sugar.
- Bake in 400°F oven 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown and risen, or cook on ungreased griddle at 275°F for 10 min per side.
- (If using griddle omit raw sugar and egg wash).
- Serve warm with jelly or preserves.