Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
I find that some scone recipes can be too complicated. These ones are easy and so delicious just out of the oven with some raspberry jam and cream, or simply with salted butter. Mmmm... (P.S. I'm Australian, so the measurements might be different)
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 200 ml milk (or 1 egg and 150ml milk mixed together)
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Sift the dry ingredients together.
- Cut the butter into the dry ingredients. Rub with the fingertips lightly. The mixture should resemble course crumbs. You can do this step in a food processor, but put the mixture into a bowl before adding the liquid.
- Add your liquid and mix lightly and gently with a butterknife or the fingertips. Don't over mix, this can create heavy scones.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and press out gently into an oblong shape, about 20mm thick.
- Cut into squares or use a scone cutter.
- Pop them onto a baking tray. Brush the tops with a bit of milk and bake at 240C (475F) until done, about 10 minutes.
- Use 1/2 cup sour cream instead of the butter and the milk or milk and egg.
- Cheese scones: Add 1/2 cup finely grated cheddar and omit the sugar.
- Fruit scones: Add 1/2 cup raisins to the dough.
I made the cheese variation, and they came out delicious! Since I've never made scones before, I was psyched. I love recipes that are easy to follow. I think I have found a new favorite recipe!
I cut the recipe in half with no problems. I used the fruit variation and added some dried cherries and some cherry extract with the milk. These have a nice, crunchy exterior and soft, light interior. Will be using this recipe as a base and try other variations. I think orange cranberry would be good!
Fluffy light and amazing. Air-light scones, perfect base for recipes. I did 1/3 cup sugar, a teaspoon of vanilla and 1/2 cup dried cranberries (soaked in some boiling water for a few minutes before stirring them in) and sprinkled with some coarse vanilla-sugar.