Recipe by Jostlori
Posted for ZWT8 - Australia. Found on website: oldaussierecipes.com. Oven temps are estimates, as only the descriptions were given.
- 2 lbs chuck steaks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, sliced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon parmesan cheese, grated
- celery salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube steak and brown in oil, remove to casserole dish.
- Saute onion, carrot and celery in pan until onion is soft, sprinkle in flour and stir over heat for 2 minutes, add stock and stir until thickened. Add to meat in casserole with sauce, seasoning and thyme then cover and cook in moderately slow oven (325 degrees) for 2 hours.
- Increase oven temperature to very hot (400 degrees), make scone topping and place on top of casserole, cook uncovered in oven for 15-20 minutes.
- SCONE TOPPING:.
- Sift flour into a bowl and add half the butter with the milk. Mix to a firm dough with a knife, turn onto a floured board, knead lightly and roll out to a rectangle 1/2 inch thick.
- Brush with remaining butter and sprinkle with parsley, cheese and a little onion or celery salt. Roll up firmly and cut into 1/2 inch slices with a floured knife and place on top of casserole.