1/1 Photo of Science Shooters (Or Petri Dish Jello Shots)
2 hrs 10 mins
Erin K. Brown's Note:
This recipe requires a sleeve of Petri Dishes, but Food.com won't let me include that in the Ingredients, since they are not food. Petri Dishes can be purchased from Amazon in packs of 20 for --$10, if you can't find them locally. Originally seen in Parents Magazine, Oct 2011, Pg. 148-9 under the name "Germy Jigglers". Those were without the vodka, of course!
My Private Note
petri d ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Toss your bottle of vodka in the freezer, ice cold works best.
- 2Choose some nice contrasting Jello colors for maximum effect. Pour each packet of jello into a separate bowl.
- 3Boil ~3 cups of water and pour 3/4 cup of boiling water into each bowl.
- 4Stir vigorously until all powder is dissolved.
- 5Add 1/2 cup cold water/cold vodka mixture. (The ratio is up to you, but together they should total 1/2 cup.) I usually do 1/4 vodka and a 1/4 water and they are very firm when done, so you can certainly increase the vodka, if you wish. Just remember the more vodka, the softer the end product.
- 6Pour into dishes (there is a line around the dish that you don't want to fill past).
- 7Place in the fridge for ~1 hour with the lids off.
- 8Make your microorganisms: Pour 1/4 cup water into a small microwave safe dish.
- 9Sprinkle the gelatin packet (I use Knox) over the water and allow it to absorb for 5 minutes.
- 10Microwave for 20-25 seconds to dissolve gelatin.
- 11Stir in the sour cream, mix until smooth.
- 12Pour mixture into a ziploc and allow to cool, kneading from time to time.
- 13Mixture should be cool, but still runny. If it's getting to solid just pop it back in the microwave for a few seconds.
- 14Cut a corner of the bag and drip gooey "bacteria" and "fungus" onto your culture dishes.
- 15Top the biggest cultures with some contrasting decorating gel.
- 16Put back in the fridge for another 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Gelatin Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Science Shooters (Or Petri Dish Jello Shots)
Serving Size: 1 (22 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 71.3
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.6 mg
- Sodium 61.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 11.0 g
- Protein 1.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: