Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs 30 mins
A hearty German dish posted in response to a recipe request.
- 1 small leek
- 1 stalk celery
- 1 carrot
- 1 onion
- 2 meaty pork knuckles
- black peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons cooking fat or 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cumin (or to taste)
- beer or water
- Wash and dice the leek, celery, carrot and onion.
- Cook pork knuckles, diced vegetables, salt and peppercorns in water to cover 2 to 3 hours or until tender; avoid overcooking.
- Remove from water; drain well reserving vegetables and cooking liquid.
- Preheat oven to 425F.
- Melt fat or shortening in an dutch oven.
- Add drained pork knuckles, cooked vegetables and a small amount of cooking liquid.
- Bake 30 minutes, moistening meat frequently with more cooking liquid.
- Just before meat is done, sprinkle with beer or water in which a good amount of salt has been dissolved.
- Add cumin to taste.
- Serve with potato or white bread dumplings or sauerkraut salad.
- Note: In Bavaria, the juices and cooking liquid are strained and served as an accompanying sauce.
Yes, this brought back memories of Bavaria, but it just wasn't the same as the Mahrs Brau pub. The BEST! I will try this again when the grill is free of snow to get that crispy crust on the fat.
Brought back memories of Germany
This dish was a very easy, and not a hassel to put out at all. I lived in Germany for many years and this meal came very close to the pork knuckles I had there. How ever whe it came to roasting the knuckles I ended up bumping the heat up to 475, and adding an additional 20 mins ( my oven is an old girl) other thatn that it was very nice, and I would make it again :) Thanks