3 hrs 40 mins
3 hrs 30 mins
A hearty German dish posted in response to a recipe request.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Wash and dice the leek, celery, carrot and onion.
- 2Cook pork knuckles, diced vegetables, salt and peppercorns in water to cover 2 to 3 hours or until tender; avoid overcooking.
- 3Remove from water; drain well reserving vegetables and cooking liquid.
- 4Preheat oven to 425F.
- 5Melt fat or shortening in an dutch oven.
- 6Add drained pork knuckles, cooked vegetables and a small amount of cooking liquid.
- 7Bake 30 minutes, moistening meat frequently with more cooking liquid.
- 8Just before meat is done, sprinkle with beer or water in which a good amount of salt has been dissolved.
- 9Add cumin to taste.
- 10Serve with potato or white bread dumplings or sauerkraut salad.
- 11Note: In Bavaria, the juices and cooking liquid are strained and served as an accompanying sauce.
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Schweinshaxe (Pork Knuckles)
Serving Size: 1 (150 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 66.0
- Calories from Fat 2
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 47.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 1.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: