Recipe by Cynna
A simple soup made from dark bread and cream. Very provincial German recipe. Posted for ZWT II '06
- 1 lb pumpernickel bread, cubed
- 2 quarts water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 small onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak pumpernickel cubes in water, bring to a boil, remove and strain bread out.
- Bring broth to a boil again, if necessary adding more water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Chop an onion finely, brown in butter with caraway seeds.
- Add onion mixture to soup.
- Add cream and serve.