Prep 35 mins
Cook 40 mins
Source: Taste of Home
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix (or adjust water, oil and eggs for cake mix you are using)
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 -9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black gel food coloring (or black paste coloring)
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 teaspoon yellow liquid food coloring (or yellow paste coloring)
- 2 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, cut in half
- 2 yellow gumdrops
- 6 red gumdrops
- Prepare cake mix according to package directions using oil, water and eggs.
- Pour batter into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place cakes end to end on a 22-in. x 8-in. covered board.
- Level if needed.
- From the top of one end, form the front of the bus by cutting out a section 1 inches deep and 3 inches long (Save the removed piece for another use.)
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy.
- Add 6 cups confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth.
- Add enough remaining confectioners' sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- Tint 3/4 cup frosting with black food coloring; set aside.
- Tint remaining frosting yellow.
- Frost top and sides of cake with yellow frosting.
- Frost cut edge of cookies with yellow frosting to form wheel wells; place two cookie halves on each side of bus.
- Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #5 round tip.
- Fill the bag with black frosting.
- Outline windows on both sides of bus; pipe strips under windows.
- Pipe windshield and back window; fill in with black frosting.
- Pipe lines on front of grille.
- Place yellow gumdrops on front of bus for headlights; place red gumdrops on front and back for lights.