1/1 Photo of School Bus Cake
1 hr 15 mins
Source: Taste of Home
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (18 1/4 ounce) package yellow cake mix (or adjust water, oil and eggs for cake mix you are using)
- 1 1/3 cups water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 8 -9 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons black gel food coloring (or black paste coloring)
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon yellow liquid food coloring (or yellow paste coloring)
- 2 cream-filled chocolate sandwich cookies, cut in half
- 2 yellow gumdrops
- 6 red gumdrops
- 1Prepare cake mix according to package directions using oil, water and eggs.
- 2Pour batter into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. x 2-in. loaf pans.
- 3Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- 4Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 5Place cakes end to end on a 22-in. x 8-in. covered board.
- 6Level if needed.
- 7From the top of one end, form the front of the bus by cutting out a section 1 inches deep and 3 inches long (Save the removed piece for another use.)
- 8For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter and shortening until fluffy.
- 9Add 6 cups confectioners' sugar, milk, vanilla and salt; beat until smooth.
- 10Add enough remaining confectioners' sugar until desired consistency is reached.
- 11Tint 3/4 cup frosting with black food coloring; set aside.
- 12Tint remaining frosting yellow.
- 13Frost top and sides of cake with yellow frosting.
- 14Frost cut edge of cookies with yellow frosting to form wheel wells; place two cookie halves on each side of bus.
- 15Cut a small hole in the corner of a pastry or plastic bag; insert a #5 round tip.
- 16Fill the bag with black frosting.
- 17Outline windows on both sides of bus; pipe strips under windows.
- 18Pipe windshield and back window; fill in with black frosting.
- 19Pipe lines on front of grille.
- 20Place yellow gumdrops on front of bus for headlights; place red gumdrops on front and back for lights.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for School Bus Cake
Serving Size: 1 (165 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 905.7
- Calories from Fat 434
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 16.4 g
- Cholesterol 95.1 mg
- Sodium 471.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 117.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 99.4 g
- Protein 3.8 g