Top Review by *~*Jennifer*~*
My family wasn't crazy about these pretzels. I didn't make any changes to the ingredients or directions. My husband and kids thought the pretzels needed more chocolate and the icing was too sweet. They told me not to make these again, so I'm giving this recipe 3 stars.
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cocoa
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons cocoa
- 2 tablespoons melted butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix 1/2 cup butter and the sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, vanilla, and milk.
- Sift cocoa and flour.
- Mix into butter mixture until thoroughly blended.
- Chill dough until firm enough to handle (about 30 minutes).
- Using 2 teaspoons of dough, roll a rope about 12 inches long between your hands.
- Shape into a pretzel as follows: make a loop bout 1 1/2 inches in diameter by crossing the ends, leaving 1-inch tails.
- Flip the loop down over the crossed ends. Press firmly into place.
- Place pretzels on greased baking sheets.
- Bake at 350°F for about 10 minutes.
- Make frosting in a small bowl.
- Mix cocoa and confectioners' sugar.
- Gradually stir in butter and vanilla.
- If frosting is too thick, thin with milk.
- When pretzels are cool, spread with cocoa frosting.