Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
Found in Multicultural Cookbook of Life-Cycle Celebrations. Typical berries grown in Switzerland you could use for garnish include: Blackberries, Strawberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Elderberries, Blackcurrants, Red currants, Gooseberries.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 lb dark swiss chocolate (sweet chocolate)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sifted confectioners' sugar, for garnish (icing sugar)
- 1⁄2-1 cup prepared whipped cream, for garnish
- 12 hazelnuts (see list of berry possibilities in recipe description) or 12 berries, for garnish (see list of berry possibilities in recipe description)
- Place 9-inch springform pan on sheet of wax paper, use pencil to trace around bottom and cut out with scissors.
- Butter bottom and sides of pan; line bottom of pan with buttered wax paper circle.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Sift flour and baking powder into small bowl.
- Coarsely grate chocolate on piece of wax paper and transfer to top pan of double boiler.
- Fill bottom pan of double boiler halfway with water; bring to boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat, set pan with grated chocolate on top of other pan, add butter and stir until melted and smooth (7 to 10 minutes).
- Add sugar; stir until melted (2 to 3 minutes).
- Transfer chocolate mixture to large mixing bowl.
- Using an electric mixer or mixing spoon, add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract to mixture and mix well.
- Place egg whites to medium mixing bowl, and using clean dry mixer or whisk, beat until stiff.
- Using rubber spatula, fold in egg whites with chocolate mixture; transfer to prepared springform pan.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool torte on wire cake rack; remove sides of pan.
- Place 9-inch lace paper doily on top of cake; sift confectioners' sugar over it; remove doily.
- Pipe whipped cream dollops around edge of cake top and place a hazelnut or berry in each cream dollop.
- Serve with extra whipped cream.