Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is one of the many ways of preparing beef schnitzels in Croatia. This is Dalmatian way. Drnis is small town in Dalmatian hinterland well known of its dried salted ham called “prsut”. Unfortunately this recipe does not include prsut.
- 700 g beef (schnitzel)
- 500 g onions
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 cup tomatoes (strained juice)
- 10 g salt
- 5 g pepper
- Sauté onion on olive oil until becomes translucent (10min).
- Hit schnitzels to make it thinner. Put into the pot beef schnitzels and season with salt and pepper and continue to sauté it until meat starts to leave juices.
- Than add 1 cup beef stock and continue to sauté it at least 1 hour on very low fire and covered.
- After 1 hour add tomato juice, red wine and some beef stock. Continue to cook 30 minutes.
- Leave it stand still 5 minutes before serving. You can serve it with all variants of potato (mashed, cooked, “restani”) or rice or pasta.