Prep 8 hrs
Cook 4 hrs
I am a man well up in years with simple tastes and few, But I would like to eat again a dish my boyhood knew. A rare old dish that Mother made that filled us all with pep, This generation knows it not-we called it Schnitz and Knepp. I patronize all restaurants where grub is kept for sale, But my search up to the present has been without avail. They say they never heard of it, and I vainly wonder why, For that glorious concoction was better than pie. Dried apple snits, a slab of ham and mammoth balls of dough Were the appetizing units that filled us with a glow, When mother placed the smoking dish upon the dinner table, And we partook of its delight as long as we were able. My longing for that boyhood dish I simply will not shelf; If I cannot find it anywhere, I'll make the thing myself.
- 1 quart dried apple
- 3 lbs ham
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 egg, well beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2⁄3 cup milk (amount is approximate)
- Wash apples; cover with water and let soak at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Cover ham with cold water and simmer for 3 hours.
- Add apples and their water; continue to boil another hour.
- Add brown sugar.
- Add dumplings to the pot the last 18 minutes before service.
- To make dumplings: Sift dry ingredients together.
- Add egg, melted butter and enough milk to make a stiff batter.
- Drop by teaspoons into boiling liquid.
- Cover tightly and cook for 18 minutes.
- Serve piping hot on a large platter.
I added a little half and half and two potatoes to this, along with ONIONS, which to me are key to the recipe. It was AWESOME... loved the fragrant scent and the taste is CRAZY GOOD! I'm telling you, my very finicky 7 yo daughter even loved this dish (although I had to seperate the ham and potatoes and dumplings on the plate). Great recipe but just missing some things... Nice lymerick, though which I why I did not repost it as a new recipe. Cute and creative poem and good old fashion dish. Very good!