Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
Peaches and cream with crumb topping.
- 1 3⁄4 cups unsifted all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄3 cup cold water
SCHNITZ PEACH PIE
- 4 cups peeled sliced peaches
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- TO MAKE THE PIE CRUST Place the flour and salt in a large mixing bowl.
- Work in the shortening, using a pastry blender or two knives until large loose crumbs the size of peas are formed.
- Sprinkle in the water, a tablespoonful or so at a time, using a fork to draw the moistened crumbs into a ball.
- Add no more water than is necessary to form the ball.
- Turn out on a lightly floured board.
- Quickly form dough into a ball with your hands.
- Divide into two pieces for 9 inch or 10 inch pie shells.
- To prepare unfilled tart shells, prick the pastry with a fork and bake at 425 F.
- for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool in the pan.
- Yield: a double-crusted 9 or 10 inch pie or 2 bottom 9 or 10 pie shells or 18 medium tart shells.
- TO MAKE THE SCHNITZ PEACH PIE: Arrange peach slices attractively in pie shell.
- Pour cream over peaches.
- Sprinkle on nutmeg.
- Combine the brown and white sugar, flour, and salt.
- Using a pastry blender, cut the butter into the dry ingredients.
- Sprinkle this mixture over the peaches.
- Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees F.
- and cook for 35 minutes more or until the peaches are tender and the crust is golden brown.
- Classic Canadian Cooking.
great pie simple with store bought crust