Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This dish is a wonderful warm dish in the wintertime and one of my favorite comfort foods.
- 2 cups dried apples
- 3 lbs smoked ham, butt
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup milk
- Cover apples with boiling water and let stand until cool. Drain.
- Trim excess fat from ham.
- Place in Dutch oven and add chicken broth and water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 90 minutes or until tender.
- Remove ham and skim fat from broth.
- Slice and cube ham and return it to the Dutch oven.
- Add apples and brown sugar.
- Bring to boil, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15-20 minutes.
- Make dumplings by combining flour with baking powder and salt.
- Cut into butter to resemble coarse corn meal.
- Add milk and beat vigorously until smooth.
- Drop 6 or 8 spoonfuls into simmering broth.
- Cover tightly and simmer 10 minutes.
- To serve, remove dumplings with slotted spoon.
- Pour ham and apple mixture around dumplings.